2012年10月30日 星期二

Crime prevention starts with common sense

Not because they were chatting loudly, oblivious to their surroundings, but because I saw one of them putting her handbag on the table where they were seated in the clear view of others.

It seemed like they had been missing out on news on snatch thefts and how not to become a victim. Who would the girl blame if someone had snatched her bag and run off with it?

Even though I have faith in our police force, I believe that I should take care of myself first.

One day, while walking to my office, a driver pulled up by the roadside. Thinking that it might be someone I knew, I stopped to take a look. As the man's face was not familiar, I continued walking but the car kept following me.

I slipped into the back lane of the row of shops to shake the driver off but to my horror, I saw his car coming towards me.

I decided to head for a nearby coffee shop, which had its back door open.The Best Store to buy authenticguccishoes online. Before I could take a step through the back door, the car was already by my side and I froze in fear. The driver called out to me and said that he just wanted to give me his phone number. I remained calm and then quickly told him that I needed to go and hurried into the coffee shop.

I was just glad that he didn't follow me inside.Panerai replica watches,cheaprolexwatches,replica omega, Sure, it'd be great if there were a police patrol car passing by or a friend walking with me at that time.Shop Louis omegawatch for Women. But in such a situation, you can only depend on yourself.

I try not to walk in secluded areas, avoid going out late at nights alone and only wear sensible clothes and shoes.

To say that the authorities are not doing anything, for me, is unfair. What is unfair is when criminals prey on hapless victims and commit crimes right under our noses.

What is unfair is when people blame others for their own carelessness by not taking precautions for their own safety.

During my stint as a court reporter, I saw countless offenders being put away for robbery and theft and some for causing harm.Find guccishoes and dsquared shoes men from a vast selection of Clothing,

Brickfields district police chief ACP Wan Abdul Bahri Wan Abdul Khalid made a point when he asked what should be done when a criminal was caught red-handed, during his dialogue with residents there.

He said although a crime was avoided, how could the offender be "punished" so that he would not do it again.

He said there were cases where the offenders had to be let off as the witnesses' statements and description of what they saw were insubstantial.

You see, pointing fingers doesn't help to curb crimes and blaming others including the authorities doesn't make us the better people.

Many programmes by government agencies and non-governmental organisations have been carried out to show us that that crime prevention does not involve only the police, but also public engagement.

Bandar Tun Razak Education Foundation's effort, in collaboration with the police, Malaysia Crime Prevention Foundation and Information Department, to distribute crime prevention pamphlets to the public in the area is laudable.

The booklet gives tips on how to be safe both for children and adult, and since reading the pamphlet, I realised I have not taken all the necessary precautions.

Among them are to walk with a friend and avoid deserted and quiet areas; never leave the car engine running if unattended and putting your belongings out of sight, preferably in the car boot; not placing your wallet or handbag in the shopping trolley; keeping your handbag close to you at all times; and for your house, consider using timer to switch on and off the lights which is most helpful when you are not around.

For those using public transport, choose a busy bus stand or station and avoid waiting at a poorly-lit places or deserted spots.

It is also best to train children to only go out if accompanied by their parents or if they are with friends, come home before it gets dark; wait in the school compound instead of by the roadside if their transport is late in picking them up; never accept anything from a stranger and inform their parents if they see a crime or notice something amiss around them. I hope that we can all play a part in crime prevention by using some common sense first.

沒有留言:

張貼留言