2012年10月16日 星期二

Watching the debates the old-school way

My television shows have returned! I know who survived the airplane crash in "Grey's Anatomy" and how Jay feels about Gloria's pregnancy on "Modern Family." I had the summer off from the regularity of a television schedule. This did not mean I did not watch television; I just tended to watch reality shows where I felt no pressing need to watch in live time, if at all.Dresses Swiss Hermes Sesame Skeleton etareplicawatch.Top brands at low prices in edhardyshoes,

I had a summer break. I was free! When "my shows" ended in June, I felt jarred. Sort of lost on some nights because I was so used to the regularity of hurrying through dinner, quickly walking the dogs and generally pinballing around the house so that I would be on the couch when the program began.

This degree of television control is now ridiculous. I really do not need to know what time a TV show is on or even what channel. I can TiVo the entire season and watch when it is convenient. I can also TiVo a show,Alstyle shoes are the best selling shirt we have, wait until 10 minutes have passed and watch the program and fast-forward through commercials. I could be free of television control. But I am not.

I watch "my shows" as they are happening. Partly it is because I do not trust the technology that my TV will actually have TiVoed the program. Partly I do not trust that I will be able to work the machine. And partly, I like the pressure of getting on the couch on time. When my kids were younger, I ran around screaming that no one was to talk to me for the next hour. If the remote was missing I had a fit.

My children do not understand why I still watch television as it is aired.

My oldest daughter watches her shows online (generally,Shop our large selection of authentic buywatches at fantastic. Hulu) and catches up with a week's worth of TV shows on the weekends. Another daughter watches programs the following day on the Internet. For goodness' sakes, they do not watch TV shows on TV! My youngest daughter does watch on the television, but she watches everything on TiVo, haphazardly.

All of this is so inconvenient for me. I cannot discuss a television plot as soon as a show ends because none of us has seen it simultaneously. We used to watch television together, or if not in the same city, call during commercials with "oh my goshes." Now I have to either spoil a plot or wait on their time schedule.

My only child who watches live television is my son when he is watching sports. This makes sense to me. Is there any point in watching a match otherwise? I do not mean sports highlights, but full games. Everything else he also tapes and watches later or just finds online.

The presidential and vice presidential debates have changed the nature of TV viewing for so many people I know. Everyone is back on a television schedule! The last debate was Thursday. The next debate is Tuesday. And the final debate is Monday. People discuss the debates at work, the grocery store and the dog park and are organizing their evenings around getting in front of the TV on time.

沒有留言:

張貼留言