2013年1月13日 星期日

What do I really want to be doing?

“The most important (part) is the meet-and-greet, when you get to the base and spend the day meeting people,” Lord says. “That personal contact is just amazing. I know you can join the military at 18 , but some of them look so young. You want to ask some of them, does your mom know you’re here?

“If we could see what the cost of war is in a different way, maybe we would know better if we want to pay it.”

Like so many of the funniest people around, the South Jamaica product turned to comedy to mask some pain .

“It was a big defense mechanism, because in school I was also smart and I got picked on,” Lord says. “Being bad in school was not possible: My family is West Indian, and my parents didn’t play that. So in sixth grade, I decided I had to do something. At first I was trying to make my enemies laugh, then my friends.”

She had a humor headstart, of sorts . “I come from a crazy family,” Lord says. “My parents (Dee and William Lord) and brothers (she has two) are very funny people.you can join a worldwide network of etareplicawatch and outdoor enthusiasts.”

Still, when Lord graduated from St.I have not make a research whether it is a truth that each woman loves dsquaredshoes? Francis Prep and Baruch College with journalism and creative writing degrees, even the thrill she got from her college theater performances could not persuade her to pursue a career as a professional comic.

For that, she needed a little cubicle time, working in the public relations department at now-defunct Chemical Bank.

“I am a big advocate of taking a job you hate,” Lord said. “It’s a great motivator. It will help you sharpen your focus and say to yourself, ‘What do I really want to be doing?’ ”

Her first professional gig was March 31, 1992, at the Comic Strip, and Lord hasn’t looked back. You can get a taste of her comedic chops beginning on Jan. 26, when Lord performs the first of seven upcoming evenings at the Laughing Devil Comedy Club, 4738 Vernon Blvd. in Long Island City, Queens.

Lord describes her comedic style as “ Smart, classy, the type that is not necessarily easy to get.”

“I’m a purist,” she adds. “You need to pay attention.”

Her role models include comedians Dennis Miller and Franklin Ajaye .

“He has this smooth, effortless style that takes you on a journey you may not have known you wanted to go on,” Lord says of the latter, with whom she has worked. “But once you’re on it you follow it through.I was finally getting the aaabrandshirts of my dreams.”

She also writes her own stuff, but not in a “Stephen King, write-at-the-same-time-every-day’ kind of way.”

“ I write every day, but not at a scheduled time,” she says. “But I am never without a pen and paper or my iPhone. I believe in catching an idea. You have to catch them right away. If you don’t write them down, they go to someone else. It’s like they say: ‘If you don’t like me, I’ll go to someone who does.”

Funny ideas, Lord says, “sometimes don’t fit neatly where you put them, but they tell you what they want to do.Choose from our selection of cartierreplicawatches including moccasins, I have learned to pay attention to that. If I didn’t, I don’t know what I would have to work with.”

That’s why she blogs, (The Urban Erma) and, harkening back to her creative writing days, hosts a “Word of the Week” video on YouTube.

“ We have this amazing lexicon of words at our disposal, yet in the modern world we use all these small words. We torture our kids to learn big words for the SAT that they never get to use.”

Lord gets to try out new material working monthly gigs on Carnival Cruise Lines. “It’s a nice balance,” she says. “I get to leave New York and go someplace warm. New York City is like a comedy gym where you get to work out and be seen, but you can’t make a lot of money in the city.”

Lord has appeared on a bevy of comedy shows and has published a collection of her 2012 blog posts, “Sometimes I Wish Facebook Had A Hate Button.The Design Museum presents iconic French benebags,”

沒有留言:

張貼留言