2012年9月25日 星期二

Guest choreographer instructs dance students

Tap shoes, jazz hands and pirouettes are nothing new in the dance studio, but last week the dance company was treated with a new face.

Darryl Kent Clark, a guest choreographer, set a piece on the dance company last week. Clark is a native of Michigan and began his dance career in 1981 in Chicago.

“My experience at Henderson has been nothing but wonderful,” Clark said. “I can’t think of a group of people that could be more welcoming to a stranger. I have felt so welcome and so part of the community here. Where I’m staying [Captain Henderson House] is wonderful, and the studio is so beautiful. It’s been an inspiration to be here and to create inside this environment.”

Clark has worked as an actor with First Folio Shakespeare Festival of Oakbrook, Ill.Find Authentic shoespumps in many styles and colors.Buy the top quality Swiss omegawatch at replicawatchesswiss,, Rochester, N.Y.’s Geva Theater and Chicago’s Marriott Lincolnshire Theater and Pegasus Players. He has also danced with Princess Cruises, Vee Corporation.

“I like being in other environments,” Clark said. “It helps me get a new perspective for my own students, and I also need to re-invigorate myself by seeing something new; seeing a new town, seeing a new set of faces. So I take great store in having the new, instead of getting to a point where it’s like,We provide top quality hublotwatchand IWC Replica Watches. roll out of bed, go teach there, go back home and let that process repeat over and over for years. That would feel like a sort of death,We Specialize In Selling royaloak, and I don’t want to feel that. Not yet.”

He stayed busy all week, offering free master classes for anyone who wanted to take them from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and then went on to set choreography on the company from 6 to 10 p.m.

“Darryl has been able to pull dance and theater together through a silent film era style piece,” Jennifer Maddox, dance company director, said. “It is an original work pulling from the dancers’ strengths, incorporating tap, ballet, character movement and jazz. I think he is a very multi-talented and gracious choreographer and teacher.”

Clark had four rehearsals to set a 16-minute piece on the company, and then they performed it last Friday for a small audience. But the crunch of time isn’t a new experience for him.

“I have had to do much more intense stuff,” he said. “Speed was not a challenge. It has been a very liberating experience to be here and to be able to create this piece in a week. I knew the music, and I knew the piece’s history. I don’t think I’ve ever had to stop and go, ‘I don’t think I can do that. It’s going to be too challenging.’”

Both students from Henderson and Ouachita were able to experience Clark’s teaching. Ali Brown, junior biology major, has been dancing for most of her life and was still able to gain a new perspective on the art form.

“Theatrical dance is not what I thought it was,” Brown said. “It’s not just interpretation of Broadway musicals. It can be much more than that. Darryl is a visionary, and he has a large imagination.”

“This week I’ve grown by learning a different style,” Ungela James, senior psychology major, said. “I’ve become more comfortable with acting while dancing. I’m always interested in what Darryl has to teach.”

“My favorite style to teach is a toss-up between modern and musical theater reparatory,” Clark said. “Modern because it’s what I love, it’s my baby, it’s what I came to when I first started dancing in college. But in musical theater reparatory I get to create my stuff, I get to interpolate styles of vernacular dance from other eras.”

沒有留言:

張貼留言