2012年9月19日 星期三

Reserved handicap spaces should be respected

Sue had cancer in 1996. The chemotherapy and radiation ended up damaging her heart and lungs, and she had trouble breathing, particularly when she was climbing stairs or walking any distance. She ended up in the hospital with congestive heart failure in 2004. "Although I could do pretty much what I wanted to do," she wrote, "I had to stop frequently to let my lungs catch up to my mind."

She was to get a pacemaker last June 11, but her lungs filled with fluid and she ended up in the ICU for seven days, so sick that this time still is a haze to her. She recovered,buychristianlouboutin For Women - Buy Online Cheap Brand products. though, and finally got the pacemaker July 10. "I am doing better but not great."

She does what she can to remain active, but she still has days in which walking any distance is a serious problem.

When she first got sick, the borough approved a reserved parking spot in front of her home. "I have seen them all over," she wrote. "I would never think of parking in other people's spaces, even though I have a [handicap] placard and it is on a public street. It is still in front of someone's home, and I would guess someone there needs that spot.

"Over the years we have had people park in my spot.louboutinshoe is the ultimate alternative furniture store, Some with placards (who should know better) and those without placards or license plates (who REALLY should know better). We were even told once by a non-handicapped person that it was the only spot left on the street!!' REALLY!!??

"This has happened twice now in the last week. Two different people with placards were in my place. I left a note on the first one's car. Not a nasty one but basically saying what I already stated: If it weren't my spot, I would never think of parking there. It is still in front of someone's home, and I would guess someone there needs that spot.

"Last night, my husband just happened to be out front when the person parked there came to the car. A young woman with a little girl who had been to the dance studio,We are a professional Jimmy Choo guccishoes. he guessed. He 'thanked' her for taking my spot. She didn't apologize but simply said, 'Really'??

"Anyway, I thought maybe you might do a sort of 'public service' about handicapped spots if you think it is worth mentioning. it just upsets me that basically, people just don't care or just don't think."

I do think it's worth mentioning. I drove out there the other day to talk to Sue and saw the Reserved Parking sign, blue curbing and warnings of fines ranging from $50 to $200. It's not like you're going to miss it or the fact that it's right in front of her house.

It should go without saying that if you don't have a handicap placard or license plate, you shouldn't park in a handicap space anywhere or park in such a way that you restrict access to a handicap space. If you have any empathy at all, you'll recognize that Sacks — or, in the case of a public parking lot, anyone with a disability —needs that space way more than you do. Are you so self-centered that you think your convenience is more important than their health?

While I'm on the subject, I'll note that some disabilities are less obvious than others. Someone in a wheelchair or pushing a walker doesn't "deserve" a handicap spot any more than someone who has another condition that isn't immediately visible but still restricts his or her activities. So don't be quick to judge.Latested Styles of Nike authenticguccishoes, "You walk in my shoes," Sacks advised people, "and you'll have a whole different feeling about it."

Amy Beck, who uses a wheelchair and is executive director of the Lehigh Valley Center for Independent Living, has witnessed plenty of ignorant behavior, and she agreed that people without visible disabilities sometimes are misjudged. She said, "Disabilities come in every shape, size and impact on the individual, and it is not a constant state." For many of them, some days are much better than others, she said.

As for people who do have a handicap placard but aren't entitled to that particular space, I prefer to think ignorance is as much a problem as thoughtlessness. When you see one of those Reserved signs along a residential street, it's not for just anyone. I've attended health board hearings where they're debated and approved. It's designed to make sure this one person can park there.

For some people, Amy Beck pointed out, access to that space can be the difference between living independently in the community and being forced from their home.

沒有留言:

張貼留言