2012年2月9日 星期四

Fitness buzz: getting off on the wrong foot

As I sprinted through a crowd of cheering spectators, trying desperately to catch up to the thousands of runners with a five minute head start, I knew the Critz Tybee half marathon was going to be unbearably long. I was right.

I arrived late to the start line,Need new rolexwatches for spring & summer? ran six miles in pouring rain on the bitter-cold island and pulled both calve muscles around mile eight — which runners will tell you, is nowhere near the end despite breaching the half way mark. That was my experience a year ago, running the first half- Marathon of my life.

With last year's debacle in mind, I arrived early this time,replicawatches are considered a glorious beacon of intelligent design. even bringing backup clothes in case of rain. I'm sure it sounds like I was pretty on top of things, but don't let that veil of preparedness fool you — I'm not that awesome.

I officially signed up for the half marathon on the last night of registration, and only spent a month prior to the race actually "training." I use the term "training" loosely.

Needless to say, I had some doubts about my ability to last all 13.1 miles. Even once I trotted past the start line in stride with my shirtless, pirate-garbed, knee brace-savvy running buddy, I wondered if I was setting myself up for disaster. To my surprise, at the same eight mile mark that my calves were on fire last year, I wasn't even winded.

I've made several changes in my approach to fitness in the last year, but the biggest change, by far, was my switch to minimalist shoes (aka barefoot shoes).japanesefakerolexwatches for sale to men with low price and top quality.

Leading up to my first race, I battled shin splints in what seemed like a never ending cycle of agony. I invested in some top-of-the-line running shoes and thought my problems were over, until I started having knee issues. Things consistently went downhill from there.

Knee issues evolved into full-blown chronic knee pain, which led to another pair of running shoes, orthopedic inserts for the shoes, a knee brace and anti-inflammatory, doctor-prescribed medicine.

Nothing worked. Between the orthopedic inserts and the knee brace, I added roughly five additional pounds to my legs. Five pounds may not seem like much, but it can mean the difference between an eight-minute-per-mile pace and a 10-minute one.

Then, a friend started telling me all about minimalist shoes and the benefits that come from wearing them. I don't live under a rock, so I had heard about barefoot shoes before, but I wrote them off as impractical for distance runners.

Needless to say, I was extremely skeptical, but I heard success story after success story from people who were dealing with problems just like mine. After everything I invested in failed, I was willing to try the shoes.

I bought a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes in late October and started actively running again in November. Minimalist running shoes are generally super light, and they don't have heel cushion or arch support. The theory is that people's running has been ruined by the $400-very-special shoes they wear.

Back in the late 1960s, a fledging operation called Blue Ribbon Sports was pioneering cushioned running shoes. The same company later became Nike. Originally, Nike had an advertising partnership with a magazine called "Runner's World" — until the one-time owner of the magazine, Bob Anderson, decided to test the shoes.

After several of Nike's shoes received less than stellar reviews in 1981, the company took its $1 million advertising contract and started its own magazine, "Running." The magazine published shoe reviews, and hired writers like Hunter S. Thompson to do them.

The advertising hit forced Anderson to sell "Runner's World" to Rodale, which did away with his grading system. The belief in over-cushioned shoes and pronation control spread like gospel, and that's basically how running shoes became what they are today.

After making the switch, I realized everything I read was true. I was running completely wrong. How I knew? The balls of my feet were excruciatingly sore after as little as three miles. The pain let me know my stride was off,Yesterday marked one of the most iconic stainlesssteelwatches releases. and that my feet were striking the ground incorrectly, something the padding in previous shoes masked.

Over the next few months, I essentially relearned how to run, both using minimalist shoes and practicing foot placement barefoot around the house.

The real test came in January when I starting preparing for the half marathon at Tybee Island. I felt like a different runner. I was lighter, significantly faster, and there was virtually no pain.

Last year, I dealt with chronic running injuries and finished the Critz Tybee Half Marathon at two-hours-and-10-minutes.wholesaleguccibags are hot, and the styles on this list are among the hottest. This year, I ran pain-free and finished in an hour-and-53-minutes, placing in the top-ten finishers in my age group, out of 64 competitors.

Next year, I will participate in the half marathon again, get there on time again, and I will have my sights set on number one in my division.

沒有留言:

張貼留言